Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Sensory Crossover - Whoa! Dude, I Can Taste Jimi's Guitar

Check out this blurb from the NewScientist.com. Synaesthetes (people who experience sensory crossover - like taking in music as visualized colors, etc.) derive benefits from this curious condition that "normal" sense...umm, -ites do not. This article, in particular, mentions the advantages synaesthetes enjoy as musicians (they taste music on their tongues!). Fascinating stuff: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7091

My first question when reading this was whether we all, if perhaps in lesser degrees, are synaesthetes... I don't think I've ever "tasted" music, but I've definitely closed my eyes while listening to music and seen associative visuals and colors. And no, it wasn't an acid trip or something (although, joking aside, I actually read once that LSD does cause or enhance sensory crossover - please don't read that as an endorsement). Maybe synaesthesia is something different altogether from music-color associations on the back of your eyelids. I don't know, but it would sure be cool to be able tell everyone that you're a synaesthete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google